Facade Grant Program
Jasper County Economic Development (JCEDO), in collaboration with the City of Rensselaer Building Department, have worked together to create a Facade Grant Program, an identified need listed in the 2023 City of Rensselaer Comprehensive Plan.
Importance of the Grant Program
- Our downtown area is the greatest opportunity to determine how we “brand” our city.
- It is a direct reflection of our integrity and history as a community.
- It creates a “feeling” that attracts visitors for recreation and business professionals as the county seat.
- It unifies our residents as a gathering place for fellowship, nurturing a sense of pride and unity.
- As we face the challenges of a slower economy and rising costs of goods and services, business owners are working harder to keep their doors open. This program will give them the incentive to continue to upgrade and maintain their building structures, while attracting more customers to their businesses; thus, stimulating the local economy.
How to Apply
- Applications are available through the Jasper County Economic Development Office and the City of Rensselaer Building Department or by downloading the application PDF.
- Applications will be taken quarterly from the building owners, lease holders or tenants within the 4 block radius of downtown Rensselaer. Located in our B-3 Zoning District, parameters cover Angelica St to Rutsen St and McKinley Ave to Front St.
- Each applicant can apply for $5k to $25k, but not to exceed half of the total project cost.
Painting, Windows, Signs, Tuckpointing, Resurfacing, Lighting, Cleaning, Sandblasting, Doors, Cornice, Awnings, Stairs, Porches, Railings, Etc.
Interiors, Asbestos, Mold, Mildew Mitigation, Furnishings, Fixtures, Equipment, Previously Started Projects, Building Permits and Fees, Extermination, Legal Fees, Title Work, HVAC and Plumbing, Electrical Wiring or Upgrading.
Applicants must provide a series of documents confirming plans, permits, elevations, color samples, and project cost estimates. Other legal documents confirming ownership, current taxes, and insurance are also required.
- Established and consists of five (5) persons representing different interests: City, JCEDO, Financial Lending Expert, Architectural/Construction Expert and Real Estate Professional.
- The committee will meet quarterly to review applications.
- The committee will score each applicant based on the information provided, and determine validity of applications and select Awardees.
- Is responsible for inspecting and validating the work completed prior to funds being released from JCEDO.
- The top scores each quarter will be awarded their respective requests up to the maximum allowed amount of $25k to be distributed and divided among the top scores.
- Will be given a Certificate of Grant Award.
- Are responsible for making full payment to their contractors and suppliers.
- Will have one (1) year from the date of the Certificate of Grant Award to complete the project.
- Upon completion of the project, the Awardee must submit a Request of Reimbursement to the Grant Committee documenting all expenses prior to receiving their grant award.
- Any applicant who does not receive an award for the current quarter can reapply the following quarter.
Grant Application & Disbursement Timeline
Application Review Date
Award Letter Deadline
Project Completion Deadline
|Dec. - Feb.
|4th Monday of Feb.
|3rd Tuesday of March
|April 1 of Preceding Year
|March - April
|4th Monday of May
|3rd Tuesday of June
|July 1 of Preceding Year
|June - Aug.
|4th Monday of Aug.
|3rd Tuesday of Sept.
|October 1 of
|Sept. - Nov.
|4th Monday of Nov.
|3rd Tuesday of Dec.
|January 1 of